I have been around a long time and after having raised a huge family I have learned a few tricks of the trade or secrets to get more done instantly. Here is my sure fire list:
1. Write a list of what needs to get done every day. Cross off every item when you get it done.
2. Get up early. I get more done in the wee hours of the morning than any other time of the day. The early bird gets the worm,
3. Decide if you can do difficult tasks in the morning or in the afternoon or evening. I personally do all of my "thinking tasks" first thing in the morning because they tend to take more mental energy that working out or cleaning out the fridge.
4. Choose your outfits for the week on Sunday night. I can't tell you how awesome this quick idea is. You simply group together your entire outfit for Monday-Sunday. No more hunting for items or rushing around trying to figure out what to wear and what goes with what.
5. Make good use of your "down" time. Listen to podcasts or scriptures or books on tape like audio tapes when you are stuck in traffic or commuting or driving the kids around to lessons or waiting for a flight.
6. Get up and ready first thing in the morning. Take a one minute shower and put on your clean clothes, brush your hair and teeth. Feeling ready makes you feel like you can accomplish everything.
7. Do the 10 minute TWEAK in each room. Set your timer for 10 minutes and tweak each room. By tweak I mean pick up and clean up fast! You can make a bed in 2 minutes. You can fold a towel or blanket in seconds. Straighten up and tidy up fast! Pick up as quickly as possible.
8. Keep a notebook with you so when an idea or a grocery item pops into your head, you can write it down before you forget it. I write everything down. If I don't write it down, it gets lost in my head.
9. Break up a big task into bite size pieces. By an inch it is a cinch. By a mile, it takes a while. I like to think of baby steps. Try to break a huge project into little to-do's.
10. Put an extra garbage sack in the bottom of each and every garbage can so when you empty a garbage, you don't have to run to the kitchen to retrieve a clean, new bag, you already have one in the bottom of the can.
11. For any bigger task, set your timer for 30 minutes. When 30 minutes is up, stop and move on.
12. Lessen your expectations. Don't be too hard on your standards of perfection. I don't wash everything I wear once. I usually wear the clothing a few times before I wash it unless it is underwear.
13. Grab a laundry basket and pick up every item that doesn't belong in that room and place it in the laundry basket. Walk around your entire house with your basket and putting things back into place.
14. Plan your weekly menu on Sunday night. Write down what you will eat on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. No more guess work or late afternoon panic about what to eat for dinner.
15. Utilize grocery delivery or grocery pick up. I can't believe how much time I save by ordering all of my food items online and then I do grocery pick up. I not only save time but I save money by not doing impulse shopping, I stick to my menu items and grocery products.
BONUS: 16. Eat leftovers. Put your extra leftovers in those cute glass or plastic containers and heat them up for lunch.